View Single Post

Old 08-20-2012, 09:11 PM

Liked 398 Times in 162 Posts
Default How are you going to use it?

Are you going to carry a lot and shoot a little (hiking, backpacking, etc) or are you going to carry a little and shoot a lot (mostly range work)?

If you're going to carry a lot, go for the light weight of the 317. If you're going to shoot it a lot, definitely go for the 63.

I own "several" S&W .22 revolvers, including a model 18, model 317 3" (adj. sights), and a 63 4".

When I go to the range to shoot/plink a LOT, I bring the model 18. A J-frame trigger will never compete with a K-frame trigger, IMHO. Plus, the weight and balance of the K-frame revolver just feels "right" in my hands.

When I go hiking and don't plan to shoot, but want a firearm on my hip, I carry the 317. (NC law restricts one to carrying .22LR on game lands outside of hunting seasons). The weight of a 317 "disappears" on a belt holster.

If I were planning to hike AND stop to shoot, I would take the 63. It's a much easier revolver to shoot accurately than the featherweight 317, and represents a reasonable compromise between weight and "shootability" for me.

Good luck,
Lou