View Single Post

Old 08-20-2012, 09:25 PM

Liked 2,938 Times in 1,071 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach elvis View Post
Not EXACTLY on topic, but I have an aunt who was shot twice a few years back (still has one of the slugs in the back of her neck that they were afraid to mess with) by a daughter's wacked-out ex. He went to to the pen and a few weeks ago, she saw him again at a Denny's. He's out. He saw her too.

But now her husband and 4 grown sons are all fine shots so methinx a return encounter would result in the mutant's ticket gettin' punched.
This is one of the things that just floors me with our sentencing laws. In the case cited by Beach Elvis, this woman was shot twice (one is still in her neck) "a few years back". So, this happened a few years ago, and the guy is already out of prison...

Why is it that if you shoot and kill someone (murder) you get a life term (let's say 1st degree murder), but if you are not successful in your effort to murder someone, you only serve "a few years". Seriously, just because someone is a bad shot, or the victim has the strengh to survive, you only get a few years! Assuming the premeditated intent to kill is there, shouldn't the sentence be the same. We discount prison terms for poor marksmanship/execution...?

I watched one of those "I Survived" shows on the Biography Channel one time (very un-nerving show...), and this poor woman was incredibly assaulted by her boyfriend. Out of nowhere this whack job attacked her, and tried to kill her. He stabbed her dozens of times, hacked at her with a meat cleaver, telling her that she needed to die. Somehow she had the will to live, and stumbled down the apartment building hallway and a neighbor pulled her into his apartment and rescued her. She had no use of her hands, one of them was hanging by a thread, her face literally hanging off, body mutilated, etc.

Long story short, the guy served something like 8 years (might not have even been that long...) behind bars for "attempted murder"! Are you serious, the only thing holding him back from actual murder was some sort of divine help for that poor victim! This guy is on the streets.

On a separate note, do not watch "I Survived" on the Biography Channel if you are looking for some light-hearted, 'fun' entertainment. Not going to happen!

Anyway, I hope the OP's friend watches his back, gets law enforcement to get involved, and does what he needs to do to protect himself.

Last edited by dmar; 08-20-2012 at 09:30 PM.