View Single Post

Old 08-22-2012, 02:15 PM

Liked 30 Times in 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanici View Post
I know I'm quoting my own post but I just wanted to let you all know that my N82 shield holster came today. It looks to be a great product. Very well made and when I put it on the comfort was immediately apparent.

Don't be afraid to give one of these a try.
No offense intended, but this has to be one the worst holster designs I've seen in a long time. I'm all for innovation and thinking outside-of-the-box, but this design ignores one of the most important fundamentals of basic holster design: allowing a full and unimpeded grasp of the firearm for presentation.

Just look at the photo above. The backflap extends above, around and well past the magazine well of the pistols shown. You can see in the photo as Nate uses his thumb to clear his shirt for presentation of the firearm, how the backflap has already started rolling outward along the arc between the beavertail and the bottom corner of the magwell, and how naturally the thumb goes behind that flap (as is shown here). Under stress, and at full speed, there is a very good chance that a thumb will eventaully end up behind the backflap, therby causing it to roll over and come between the hand and the grip, which in turn will stop the draw stroke. It's really more of a 'when', not 'if', this event will occur. There is a good reason that NO major respected holster maker offers an IWB holster design like this: it is a very, very bad idea.

I'm sorry, but I don't care how comfortable the design is, and how their website tries to twist the uncredited Clint Smith quote and turn it in to a selling point, I can only take comfort in wearing a primary CCW holster, when the holster design allows me a completley unimpeded initial grip. I could pick nits about other design shortcomings of both their Original and Professional models, but there is little need to do so with such a flawed holster design.

IMHO, Forum members would be far better served choosing any number of other proven holster designs, than counting on their ability to get their thumb between the backflap and the grips, when their life may depend on it.