Thread: S&W 539
View Single Post

Old 08-22-2012, 09:29 PM

Liked 335 Times in 182 Posts

I have a Mod.539 that I bought about 4 years ago from a local dealer who took it in trade at a gun show.
As someone else said it is basically an all steel Mod.39,but has a rear sight that is enclosed on both sides with what I refer to jokingly as fender skirts.
I'm not really a fan of this sight,but the slide is cut for this sight and I don't know that they can be changed without spending too much money.Probably best to keep it original anyway.
I actually shoot this gun a lot and it remains one of my favorites for movement and point shooting. It feeds all the modern hollowpoints that I have tried. It currently stays on standby as a backup house pistol.
Magazines for the 39 are fine,all these are difficult to find. I had to advertize on line to find extras as my pistol only had two mags with it. It was apparently never shot or carried much,and the only blue wear is a small area on the port side of the slide near the muzzle.
This is a great feeling,great shooting pistol,that will give any of the newer ones a run for the money. Mine has been extremely reliable for the four years I've owned it. I just checked and don't have a photo available but will try to take one and post it. I recommend the Mod.39-2,439,539,and 639. I gladly paid $450 plus tax for mine 4 years ago and still think I got the best end of the deal.