View Single Post

Old 08-26-2012, 02:21 AM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkarrob View Post
I use CorBon 9mm +P 115gr JHP in my Ruger LC9. CorBon likely makes the most potent factory ammo on the market. Specs are 1350 fps with 466 ft lbs energy. Check the specs on your ammo, which is not likely even close. And again in a lighter (3 ounces) and slightly smaller gun, it shoots fine and recoil is not excessive. Sure you can feel the difference in recoil between practice ammo with only 320 ft lbs energy, but for such powerful SD ammo, it is controllable and you can get back on target fast.

I have a Shield 40, and use CorBon 135gr JHP with 1325 fps and 526 ft lbs energy. The recoil on it feels about the same as the recoil on my 9mm LC9. This is due to the Shield being 3 ounces heavier and the bore axis on the Shield is 3/16 inch lower than that of the LC9. A lower bore axis results in less felt recoil.

I would disagree about this post. Testing shows a drop off in fps when you drop down in barrel length. In that case the shorter barrel would benefit from more powerful ammo, to offset the performance loss from the shorter barrel. I want to know that I am using the best SD ammunition, with the most stopping power. This is as long as I have practiced with that ammo, and know I can shoot well with it.

The S&W website FAQ states: "Use only commercially manufactured ammunition with internal ballistic pressures which are in strict accordance with the specifications of the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute (SAAMI)."

CorBon is manufactured to SAMMI standards. And no I don't work for or own any stock in CorBon. Several years ago I just Googled "best SD ammo", and CorBon came very highly rated in a lot of reviews.

Bob
Yep, a few years ago Corbon had its day on top of the charts and public opinion. I think the concern now is Corbon isn't using bonded bullets (they do offer an all-copper alternative though), so now everyone is on the Speer/Ranger/Critical Duty bandwagon of bullets that reduce jacket separation during impact and expansion.

Corbon's more recent offering, the Powerball, is a step in the wrong direction, I feel. The school of faster, quick energy transfer (think Glaser) ammo is not as proven as the hard-hitting, properly expanded bullet that retains most of its weight throughout impact.

Personally, I wouldn't want to get hit with any of them, however my preference is to carry something that can go through a car door and still do the job.

Also, if ever confronted with a wild dog or even in a worst case scenario, a mountain lion (they have caught them within the city limits of where I live), I would definitely want the bonded bullet, not the fast, light stuff.