View Single Post

Old 08-31-2012, 12:17 PM

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default New SD40VE Owner - Fail To Feed

Hello everyone! I recently bought a new SD40VE from our local gun shop. Thought I would drop in and introduce myself and, of course, ask a question right off the bat!

I have owned a few revolvers in the past but my new VE is the first semi-auto. I like the feel and the trigger really isn't that hard for me to adjust to. Probably because of my time with revolvers.

The issue I seem to be having is a pretty high percentage of failure-to-feeds.

The gun always seems to run through the first clip fine and *maybe* the second. But somewhere between the second the third clip I will start to experience a FTF rate of about 10% . I can normally give the back of the slide a pretty firm tap with the heel of my hand and the round will seat.

I have cleaned the weapon thoroughly, thought I didn't do a good enough job and cleaned it again with no joy. I read about polishing the feed ramp but it looks pretty shiny to these naked eyes so I left it alone. I have read some posts of other users of the 40VE having similar issues but I'm not convinced that it's not something that I can correct with my operation of the weapon or ammo selection.

Which brings me to ammo. I have just over 100 rounds ran through the gun. All PMC Bronze 165 gr (Cheap 40 S&W Ammo For Sale - 165 gr FJMJ Ammunition by PMC In Stock - 50 Rounds). Before I invest in any more ammo I wanted to stop and ask for some advice.

Is it something that I can do to get my FTF rate lower? Has anyone heard any good/bad issues with PMC branded rounds not feeding? I really don't want to target practice with American Eagle if I can do it at a White Box price.

Don't be afraid to hurt my feelings if you can educate me at the same time!

Ugghh..lot's of complaints in this message. I do like the gun and like how it shoots..just this one nagging little issue I need to fix.

Thanks for hearing me out and glad to be here!!

Jack

Last edited by jackh; 09-09-2012 at 12:36 PM.