View Single Post

Old 09-01-2012, 06:29 PM

Liked 9,151 Times in 3,380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrhiner View Post
Now I always thought it originated with flintlock muskets as a statement of condition. I'm locked, eg my weapon is on half cock with priming powder in the pan, and loaded.

To "lock and load" was the command to place the lock in the half cocked position and load with ball and powder.
This is where I understood it to be from also. But variations probably exist with adjustments to the arms used at any time.

With the Flint Musket,
The cadence was to 'lock' the musket lock in the 1/2cock position, open the frizzen and prime with a bit of the powder from the paper 'cartridge' the soldier had torn the end off with his teeth.
(Having at least 2 opposed teeth was a very important Military demand in those times.)

Close the frizzen, and then dump the remaining powder down the muzzle followed by the paper and ball wrapped in it. Ram the ball w/paper down onto the powder.
The paper becoming a patch of sorts in the smoothbore musket.
Speed & high volume of fire is what they were after.

Since the soldier is loading the projectile down the bore of an already primed lock with the frizzen closed,,,the distinct possibility of a discharge is present if the lock were to 'go off half cocked' due to a worn sear.
Or if the soldier had placed the lock on full cock for the priming phase instead of half cock.

In a well maintained arm,,the half cock or 'locked' position was considered safe for loading purposes by the Militarys of the world in an already primed flint lock long gun.
The Following User Likes This Post: