View Single Post

Old 09-01-2012, 07:30 PM

Liked 8,859 Times in 3,534 Posts

While I don't date to WWII I do go back to 1959 and Army ROTC summer camp shooting the M-1, M-2 Carbine, BAR, and .30 Browning Machine Gun. The range officer's command was very clear and explicit. It was not simple "lock and load" as is usually portrayed. This was a three part command which leaves no question what was meant. The first order on arrival at the range was to open the bolt, to assure there were no loaded guns, just like on every range where organized shooting is being conducted.

Once on the line, and in shooting position, the next command was "Lock" which was clearly explained beforehand as meaning "Engage the Safety" or lock the action so it is safe. The final command was not simply "Load", but "With one cartridge (or with one clip of 8 rounds), load". This meant literally to place one cartridge in the chamber, or a full clip in the rifle, and close the bolt to prepare to fire. The final commands were the question "Ready on the right? Ready on the left?" The statement once everyone had indicated they were ready then was "Ready on the firing line". And, finally, "Commence firing!" Range commands exactly like this were used while I was on active duty several years later! The difference, with the M-14, was "With one magazine of (5 to 20) rounds, load!"

Thus, there is, properly, no such range command as "Lock and load"! These are simply two portions of several commands and questions during range firing exercises intended to assure safety on the range.

It strikes me that only someone who has never been in one of the military services would not understand the above meaning, or ask the question in the first place.

Last edited by Alk8944; 09-01-2012 at 07:33 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: