View Single Post

Old 09-01-2012, 08:43 PM

Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_g View Post
Rollbar, you might want to steer away from the Lee. The priming system works good for large pistol, but small pistol it can be a pain. When loading 9mm I frequently have to take the shell plate off to unjam something. Straight wall cases are easier but I still get occasional problems. Since you are loading for competition the Lee might cost you time you'd rather spend on something else. A little more money now for a Dillon or other brand might save you some hassle. I like my Lee, but messing with it is a hobby unto itself.

Bullet wise, I primarily shoot lead. Some of my guns lead a little, but I've learned how to clean it out and it's not a real problem. The big issue is does your bullet match the load you want. I had a lot of trouble with commercial "hard cast" bullets leading. A bullet that is too hard for the load will lead. A bullet that is too small for the bore will lead. With a revolver the size of the chamber opening is important. What kind of lube is on the bullet is important. If you can find someone shooting the same gun as you who uses lead maybe they can recommend a good brand of cast lead bullets. When the bullet matches what you are doing with it you should get good results with lead. Now I cast my own so I can control everything and I get good results.
Thanks for the info today Dave, nice meeting you, and glad you won in the Revolver shoot today.