View Single Post

Old 09-03-2012, 01:19 AM

Liked 394 Times in 221 Posts
Lightbulb

I bought a Lahti M40 many years ago. It came without the accelerator, and I found it wouldn't function without it, even with hot ammunition.

Fortunately, THe Gun Parts Corp had them in stock, and I replaced it with little difficulty. I think it used a small pin, that I bought with the accelerator.

I also bought one of the issue holsters for it, which came with the REALLY necessary loading tool, the curious oil can, two magazines, the cleaning rod, and a cloth, not leather, lanyard. I bought two of the holsters, actually, one in 'rough' condition, but it came with the oil can, an extra loading tool, and two more magazines.

My holster isn't as nice as the one pictured above, but considering it's age, it's not bad. It's nice to have the original accessories for a WWII vintage pistol, and it wasn't too expensive, IIRC.

The bore on my Lahti is pretty rough, having suffered from corrosive ammunition, yet it still turns in extremely good accuracy.

Of all the 9mm's I've fired, the only one that turns in better accuracy is a HK P9S Target Model, which has a much better trigger, HK's flat sided (early type) polygonal bore, and adjustable target sights.

I shoot my very mild cast lead bullet reloads in it, and at 25 feet, it shoots right to point of aim. It is a real pleasure to shoot.

I have a 1977 Guns and Ammo magazine that featured the Lahti M40 on the cover, calling it the 'Luger Look Alike'.

The article described how to field strip, and reassemble the M40, and when I bought mine, that's what I used as a guide.

I love shooting my M40. The trigger is much better than most Lugers, but still fairly heavy, as you would expect from a 'service pistol'.

But, the sights are vastly better than a 4" Luger's, and as I said, mine delivers extremely good accuracy, despite the condition of the bore, even with cast lead bullets.

I would love to get a new, or at least better barrel for my Lahti, but then, although the bore doesn't LOOK all that good, it does shoot very well indeed. If it ain't broke....

I take it with me to the range, nearly every time I go, since it is so much fun to shoot.

It is a vastly superior design to the overly complicated Luger, but it is larger and heavier, and the venerable Luger was designed at the dawn of the autoloader age.

By today's standards, the Lahti is a very large, heavy gun that only holds 9 rounds of 9mm ammunition, but it's still a marvelous work of engineering.

They sure did something right when they built them, since mine has obviously seen some duty use, the bore was neglected, yet it capable of such good accuracy.

Once I nstalled the accelerator, I've never had a failure of any kind with it, even though I feed it many times reloaded mixed brand range brass pick ups.

My 1936 Luger is fussy about ammunition. The Lahti: not so much.
The Following User Likes This Post: