Thread: NIB 5906
View Single Post

Old 09-06-2012, 03:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default NIB 5906

I bought a NIB 5906 that I have a few questions about. I've never owned a Smith semi auto and frankly know nothing about one. I've shot competition with the Colts, Wilson, and have numerous other brands of pistols but this Smith has me wondering. The slide spring is extremely heavy. The wife, who shoots 1911's, can't even begin to rack it to load it. It's an across the chest effort for me and I ain't no little guy. I also have issues with the gun in regards to max loads using 231 powder and 115gr HP and the slide doesn't stay open on the last round fired. I'm assuming it's the recoil spring. Is this pistol tuned for a specific weight bullet and powder burn rate? You think that maybe the recoil/slide spring is far too much? Accuracy with one load of 231 under a 100gr frangible was decent at 1 1/4" at 25 yds, but no hold open on the last shot. A near max load of HS6 under a 140gr match HP was horrible but the slide would at least stay open on the last shot. Is there a recommended place to start loading ammo for this thing? Any "isms" about the gun is appreciated.