View Single Post

Old 09-09-2012, 04:56 PM

Liked 33,982 Times in 3,679 Posts

I've only had to deal with this situation one time. My brother-in-law was killed in the next county by a drunk driver who was a twenty-something year old thug who had a list of petty convictions. He was convicted of negligent homicide this time and sentenced to 10 years.

After 5 years he was up for parole and my sister-in-law went to every annual parole hearing and testified against his release, I went with her in my LE uniform the first two years. The third time she went I was out of town and my wife (they are sisters) went with her. Interestingly enough the convict's brother cornered her after the hearing and indicated it would be a bad thing if my sister-in-law showed up the next year. The very next day I drove over to the next county to the convicts parents home, knocked on the door and introduced myself. I politely reinterated that their son had killed my brother-in-law and my sister-in-law had every right to testify at every parole hearing and she intended to excercise that right. They would likely get their son back in a couple of years, but my brother-in-law was dead forever. I also advised them of the implied threat from their other son and I shared with them that if he wanted to go there I was enclined to ablidge him. Otherwise, we could let this run it's course and leave well enough alone.

At the next parole hearing the parents where there but not the brother. After the hearing the convicts father gave me a slight nod and I did so in return. Evenually, the boy served the full 10 years and has been out nearly 3 years. We've not seen or heard hide nor hair of any of them, and frankly, I don't expect to.