View Single Post

Old 09-12-2012, 01:44 PM
US Veteran

Liked 50,370 Times in 6,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburg View Post
Its a nice article, well done. Those of us who consider ourselves K22 collectors can nit pick it to death, but to little gain. I do wonder where you got your production numbers for prewar guns. Roy always quoted it at 19,500, but we also know that one is high. there are messy instances where entire pages of K22s appeared but none have shipping dates logged. Those are the ones that result in "no information in company books" on factory letters.

While more Model 48s were produced than Jets, I wonder why the collector darlings weren't mentioned. Model 53 fans are absolutely crazy over their guns, but usually pan the 48 as a pretender. We (yes, I'm in the Jet crowd) usually write off the 48 as noisy and expensive to shoot. But we love the even noisier Jet cartridge with nearly unobtainable ammo.
Thanks for the kind words, Dick. I tried to concentrate on the rimfire-only guns, space limitations being what they are. I have often looked at the Jets at gun shows, but the oddball caliber never seemed to make them worthwhile for me to purchase. The production figures come from Roy himself in the February, 1979 edition of "History of Smith & Wesson." As you say, the 19,500 figure is probably high given the reasons you cite.

Best regards,
John