View Single Post

Old 09-15-2012, 10:24 AM
US Veteran

Liked 1,693 Times in 530 Posts

I bought a BG38 "Bodyguard" at the beginning of this year and no longer own it...

The action on my revolver totally locked up after a month of ownership and I sent it back to S&W for repairs. S&W "fixed" it and got it back to me within weeks. During the first range session after the repair, the gun was producing light primer strikes resulting in misfires. Back to S&W the second time for repairs after less than two months since new...

After a week or so they called and said the gun was "unrepairable" and they would ship me a new BG38 to replace it. Fool me once, fool me twice. I had them send me a J-frame 642CT as the replacement gun instead. Maybe the tried-and-true J-frame action would work for me.

After numerous range sessions, my 642 has been flawless and after some action work it is close to the smoothness of the BG38's trigger. The CT version I got came with the Crimson Trace laser grip and it holds POI fairly well. Unfortunately it took almost 6 months for me to get to a reliable five shot, 38 Special handgun from S&W.

Based on my experiences with my flawed BG38 Bodyguard I would not recommend that model. If you want a small five shot 38 Special revolver, get a Ruger LCR or any of S&W's J-frame revolvers instead. Just plan on a trigger job with the J-frames if you want it to be less than the unservicable factory 10+ pound pull.

Edmo

Last edited by Edmo; 09-15-2012 at 10:27 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: