View Single Post

Old 09-16-2012, 05:24 AM

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default Polishing, Springs & Trigger Pull

After installing Wolff springs in my S&W J frame models 442 and 342 and lightly polishing all critical surfaces with my set of ultra- fine Norton Hard Arkansas gunsmithing stones, I was able to achieve really smooth trigger/reset action while reducing the factory trigger pull from over 12 lbs. to approximately 9-1/2 lbs. on average. The work was further confirmed with firing a variety of my personal defensive loads with no FTF.

I next proceeded to work on my new S&W 351C, which is a 7 shot hammeless .22 magnum load. The average trigger pull on this firearm measured 16-1/2 lbs. After careful polishing, I installed a 8-1/2 lb. Mainspring and 14lb. Rebound spring. The trigger pull was reduced to 11-3/4 lbs. on average, was very smooth, and fired without flaw a variety of CCI, Speer Gold Dot, Remington Premier, and Hornady Critical Defensive loads.

With 3 outstanding trigger/action jobs now completed, I turned my attention to my wife's S&W 317 J frame .22LR. It had an out of the box trigger pull of 12-3/4 lbs. So, I felt confident that after carefully polishing all the critical parts and surface areas, I could smooth and reduce the trigger pull with a combination of selected Wolff main and rebound springs. I selected the 8 lb. Wolff mainspring and a 14 lb. Wolff rebound spring. The factory springs are said to be a 12 lb. mainspring and 18 lb. rebound spring. When the firearm was assembled, I loaded some empty casings into the cylinder and measured the trigger pull for the 8 rounds in the cylinder. The trigger pull had increased! It now averaged 13-3/4 lbs. I removed the Wolff springs and reinstalled the factory main and rebound spring. The trigger pull averaged 12-1/2 lbs. with the factory springs. The trigger had a smaller standard deviation in the results, indicating a smoother action overall.

In closing, I was surprised that the Wolff spring substitution did not offer any improvement in the trigger pull. Rather, it resulted in an increase in trigger pull weight by some 1-1/4 lb.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Monad71; 09-16-2012 at 07:39 AM. Reason: ask for help
The Following User Likes This Post: