View Single Post

Old 09-17-2012, 12:39 PM

Liked 351 Times in 243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigp220.45 View Post
This just isn't true, though it has somehow become accepted through repetition.

I came into the Bureau five years after the Miami shooting. Even then, we were in the midst of a protracted self-analysis. Tactics, training, and yes, weapons and ammo were all examined and changes were made.

Its not like we haven't arrested anybody since 1986. Nowadays the same situation would be handled completely differently. I have been part of several high risk situations that could have turned into giant **** sandwiches that were resolved with bad guys dead or locked up and no good guys injured.
Funny, this is what I heard after Newhall. The problem is that the people who analize the disasters don't always know how to read the evidence because they aren't as qualified as they thought. This was the big problem after Newhall, most of the "experts" that jumped in with their advice had no idea of what they were talking about. If they did there probably would have never been a Miami shootout. I too have been in some real potential messes, where things did go horribly wrong, and still not one person got hurt.

But, in a worst case scenario we could have all been dead. History has taught us a lot, but we fail to look at the cases where nothing went wrong, or there was no massacre of law enforcement officers. After Newhall there were 'great improvements', but how many officers died between then and Miami because those improvements were actually worse than most of what we had before? One or two officers getting killed doesn't make national headlines like a "MASSACRE", and until the next mass tradgedy we won't know how bad the last "improvements" are. But we will find out someday.

By the way, of there are official reports, other than the ones released to the public or other law enforcement agencies about what happened that day, I'd sure like to see them. That's where the acceptance you mentioned came from.