View Single Post

Old 09-19-2012, 03:11 PM

Liked 3,702 Times in 1,242 Posts

Twenty plus years of reloading and I haven't found a better all around powder for .38 Special and .357 Magnum loads than Alliant's Unique.

Two years ago, I bought into the TiteGroup hype and swithced all my light and medium loads over. It was a tiny bit cheaper and does work well with plated and jacketed bullets, however cast lead was another story. The bullets I buy rarely have any leading issues. All of a sudden, with TiteGroup I had severe leading. I tried going to minimum loads, I tried going to maximum loads. Nothing helped. I did some net research and found TiteGroup burns extremely hot, that is why it is so 'clean'. Apparently the high burn temp can cause slight bullet base melting which causes leading. I'll gladly take some soot from Unique than have the leading from TiteGroup!

Bullseye is my go to for 148 grain wadcutter loads, as I find light charges of it meter better than Unique. For Full power .357 loads I've had good luck with W296, especially when going for the highest velocity with 125 grain jacketed bullets.