View Single Post

Old 09-20-2012, 03:52 PM

Liked 6,354 Times in 2,185 Posts
Default Smith and Wesson Had it Right To Begin With

In my opinion S&W had it right with their first Bodyguards. I have a 649-2 rated for .38 +P that I bought new nearly 20 years ago. It is the most carried gun that I have. It is all SS and tough as nails, simple to use, and totally reliable, and slips in and out of my pocket quite nicely. While the idea of a slightly lighter weight in the newer models has some appeal, I like the way this one handles the +P loads and I cannot imagine using full house .357 rounds in a air weight revolver, like the newer model 649's are rated for. The smallest gun I carry with .357" magnum rounds is the Ruger SP 101 with a 3" barrel. It is a pocket full, but it does allow for manageable use of a small gun chambered for .357 magnum rounds. Otherwise I want a full size 4" gun for .357 magnum rounds.

To get a great carry gun, I recommend buying one of the older 649's in SS rated for .38 +P loads. I cannot think of a better pocket gun and why S&W discontinued that version of the 649 for the .357 version is anybody's guess. My second choice for a pocket gun would be one of the older model 60's Chief's Special in SS rated for +P. I would bob and round the edges of the hammer spur some to remove about 1/2 of the hammer spur.

While I do like the 3913 and the 4013 for concealed carry, the fact is I just don't carry them nearly as often as I do the 649 Bodyguard. Even when I do carry one of the semi-autos, I often drop the 649 in my pocket anyway.
The Following User Likes This Post: