View Single Post

Old 09-21-2012, 04:41 PM

Liked 2,580 Times in 1,125 Posts

Froggie, there obviously were different methods of shooting Practical Police Courses of fire. I may stand corrected and appreciate your tactful manner of pointing that out.

In fact, the first time I shot in a match, I was a sub for a shooter who couldn't attend that shoot, which was a regular shoot plus a make-up one. I didn't expect to do well and took two guns along just to play around with them but I came in second in both matches with a pair of 297s. I was accustomed to shooting bullseye targets at 25 yards so those huge silhouettes looked, well, huge - at seven yards, they were downright enormous!

I'm sure you'll roll your eyes over this part - one gun I shot was a 6" Python and the other was an 8-3/8" Model 14! No one, even the shooters for the other team (which lost both matches), mentioned the M14's barrel length! I didn't have a holster for the M14 (and no one told me I would have to draw my firearm) so I used the holster for my Python.

After a few more good substitute appearances, I was asked to join the team and my 4" Model 66 eventually became my "regular" PPC gun. It balanced great and was easier to draw than my longer-barreled revolvers. Of course, it still possesses both qualities.

If PPC was still alive and well around here, I'm sure I would be the only guy on the line with a revolver - if they still allowed them. In fact, we moved in February of 2011 and I discovered a nice indoor handgun range less than a mile away, so I applied for membership, the process for which included attending a meeting and demonstrating proficiency with a handgun. I was the only one of 14 applicants who used a revolver (a 4" 617-0) and when I laid it on the shooting bench, it drew a lot of looks from just about everyone. I swear that some of the younger guys never saw a revolver in the flesh before!

Ed
The Following 2 Users Like Post: