Thread: Speer 135 Gr SB
View Single Post

Old 09-24-2012, 01:24 PM

Liked 763 Times in 454 Posts

I've always wondered how much of these newer whizbang loads is hype & how much is real. When they say specially formulated powders to give higher velocity & less muzzle flash in snub barrels-- that part I believe, I do that handloading just by using a fast powder instead of a slower powder. But when it comes to the bullet being specially designed to open at lower snub velocities.... that's when I start smelling something. Esp in .357 bullets-- do they manufacture a special JHP bullet for 38 snub velocity, another for long-barrel 38's, and yet another for 357's? When you look at the bullet catalog, all the manufacturers just show bullet weight & configuration, NOT designed-for velocities.
I don't care for one load for practice & another for carrying. I handload an old-fangled Speer lead SWC-HP at full service power level for my own non-plus-P version of the "FBI load" for all my shooting. If I didn't handload, I'd buy the factory equivalent from Remington or whoever. I must admit that I have some whizbang JHP loads for my Ruger LCP (at about a buck a round), since IMHO the standard 380 ball ammo isn't much of a stopper & since i don't shoot it enough to want to mess with handloading for it.