View Single Post

Old 09-24-2012, 11:25 PM

Liked 6,261 Times in 2,170 Posts

I'm just speculating here. Almost anyone who has spent their fair share of times out in the woods or mountains (or deserts, I guess) has probably smelled something they couldn't identify. Some guys get spooked easily and run for cover or safety. Others of us have circled where we caught wind of it, looking for tracks or whatever. But only the lucky ones found what they smelled. From time to time if you share the experience with others, they'll tell similar stories.

My limited experience is bears kind of stink. Its a musk type of smell. Not overpowering unless they've been dead for a while.

But then during the mating season most animals give off and odor. Since its often urine related, its not very pleasant to humans. For that matter, human urine smell isn't very pleasant. For an example, sit next to a homeless person sometime. Depending on the temperature outside, I'm guessing the odor is variable.

If the question is an honest one, I'd suggest the OP visit a few zoos and maybe an exotic animal farm that houses black bears. The answer should be known instantly. Its not weird to ask it, or to seek the answers. Its probably an advantage for any outdoorsman to know the answer. But be careful, you may realize you've been around them more than you think!