View Single Post

Old 09-25-2012, 01:52 PM

Liked 931 Times in 432 Posts

I agree with two of the posts above...I have been around several alive and several dead bears and none of them smelled what I would say was bad enough to leave a trail a human could pick up on. In fact, to me none of them really smelled that bad. I didn't touch any of the live ones but I have definatley been closer than 8 or 10 feet. As far as the dead ones, I have handled many and even mounted one of them for my brother-in-law{in a taxidermy sense.} My take on a black bear is that you are probably not going to be able to go out in the woods and smell where one was much less smell one that you can see unless you're close enough that he has a hold of you. I also agree that it is likely a plant. We have three rather pungent plants where I live that make lots of folks think they are some animal. The first is skunk cabbage, no further explaination is needed. The next one you can only smell in the late fall and it makes alot of hunters believe there is a big buck near. Dont know what it is called but I was told for years it was a rutting buck. This plant smells worse after a rain or foggy weather. last we have one that smells exactly like a billy goat and it is strong. Not very big of a plant either but I guaranty you there is no hiding or covering this one!!! Bad part is I dont know the names of either of the last two. Maybe Galax is the goat like one???
The Following User Likes This Post: