Thread: Speer 135 Gr SB
View Single Post

Old 09-29-2012, 04:07 PM

Liked 1,447 Times in 670 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida J Frame View Post
What facts are you basing your opinion on?
I'll answer for him and take it a step further by actually providing resources.

http://le.atk.com/downloads/catalogs/GoldDotPoster.pdf

If you look at the bare gelatin data from the 135 gr. SB load, the petals on the expanded bullet haven't fully peeled back. It's within the realm of possibility that they wouldn't fold back excessively at the velocities obtained from 3" barrels and up, but since I don't have photos of any actual recovered bullets or data on this load fired from longer barrels, I really can't say for sure. Since the Gold Dot is an electrochemically bonded design, chances are it will probably hold together pretty well at those higher velocities when you look at the retained weight data for that load fired through intermediate barriers, i.e. it won't readily shed its petals or jacket.

As for the "godawful" 125 gr. .38/.357 load, it'll do the job and penetrate at least 12" of gelatin, although it tends to not perform as well across the board in expansion when it must first pass through intermediate barriers. As a private citizen, I doubt I'll ever have to shoot a perpetrator through common building or automotive materials, but that round's expansion performance through heavy clothing concerns me. At lower .38 Special +P velocities, I doubt that same bullet would open at all and perform more like a FMJ. Retained weights for the 125 gr. Gold Dot, however, are quite exceptional with the sole exception of the windshield glass results, so they'll more likely than not hold together quite well.