View Single Post

Old 09-30-2012, 06:09 PM

Liked 548 Times in 311 Posts

As far as 22 ammo goes, for practice, I'll use anything cheap that also goes bang. I bought a number of bricks of 22LR Remington 40 grn Golden Bullet before 1990 when they were around$10 a brick. Found that bullet was the most consistently reliable round out of any 22 I used, including a Beretta 21A that I carried on occasion. I didn't imagine that a hollow point out of a sub 2-inch barrel would even think about expanding, so I didn't worry about them. Fast forward 18-20 years and with kids to teach, I finally shot up my stock of Remington. I bought a couple of 550-pack Remington hollow points and found every bullet in both boxes was loose in the case. Pretty much all of them went bang, however. A later purchase found all bullets were tight. Go figure. I keep reading that CCS Stingers and Mini Mags are the most reliable now days, but have not personally experienced them. I want to say they didn't work well out of my Beretta 20 years ago, but I don't remember why. The one thing I did notice was that the Remingtons today are alot cleaner than they were 20 years ago. I can go a lot more cylinders from my 18 or 34 without having the ejection getting sticky as often as it used to. My dad loves the Aguila stuff, but I've never played with it. His 22s are the Jennings J22, the Beretta 21A, S&W 63, and most recently a couple of Walther P22s.

My best advise with the LCR is to go play with brands and see what your revolver favors and what seems to be the most consistently reliable. Also remember that RF is just like centerfire - each factory can get out of whack once in a while and turn out some ****. As long as the DA pull and hammer smack of your Ruger stays relatively close to factory specs, you should bust primers consistently. In terms of a defensive load, I can't imagine that short barrel performance of a 22 HP is any better today than it was years ago, so go with what your gut tells you.