View Single Post

Old 10-01-2012, 08:13 PM

Liked 780 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkosiba View Post
A lesson in pressure, recoil and fast second shot capability to tame the wild, which is why they call it "Mountain Gun?"

Approximately 13,500 PSI for a 255 grain bullet will yield 743 fps for a .44 Special versus 926 fps for a larger .45 bullet of same weight. So my point to the .44 mag lovers: The .45 Colt does everything better at lower pressures with a bigger bullet and faster 2nd shot response with a "lighter platform" gun. If you boost .44 pressures, you lose, since you also defeat faster second shot capability.

For those who study and understand shooting caliber dynamics on a lighter, packing gun, the .45 Colt makes more sense. This combo is the best for its intended purpose.
I don't think you get the purpose of a mountain gun. I think the whole idea of choosing a mountain gun so that your second shot comes milliseconds faster after taking your first shot is ludicrous. Hit and kill your target with your first shot, and a follow up won't be needed, but if it is...AIM BETTER!!! and you have five more, hitting harder, each and every shot with the magnum round. It is like a hunter, spraying and praying that he'll connect with one of the shots in his magazine. That's a newbie//Hollywood Action Flick approach, not one of any hunter ("mountain" or otherwise) I've ever respected. The best shot to drop live targets with is always the first.

There is no substitute for well-aimed fire. It's more effective!

To the OP's question? I don't know. I like them both, but wanted the extra weight of a normal barrel profile in my 4" 629, but not so much weight as to want the unfluted cylinder and underlug barrel of some magnum models.

C.B.

Last edited by Clean Break; 10-01-2012 at 08:16 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: