View Single Post

Old 10-02-2012, 12:32 PM

Liked 6,619 Times in 1,535 Posts
Default Uncommon 4006 Performance Center? New Information Added

I have added new information I received from Mike Priwer in response to a query I posted to Roy Jinks on the SWCA side of the forum. Mike was kind enough to respond with the commentary and images to be found in post #8. Based upon his information I am inclined to believe that the gun I posted below is factory original but will probably not be able to confirm it via factory letter as the records on hand for these guns seems sketchy and incomplete at best. My main areas of concern, 5 1/4" Barsto Barrel, Bo-Mar sights, blue controls and the single action trigger all appeared to have offered by the Performance Center at various times. It seems that the PC was quite willing to build small runs of unusual guns for distributors such as Lew Horton and I think this gun may fall into this category.

My thanks to Mike Priwer for sharing this information and allowing me to share it here.

I should preface this post by saying I am not an active semi-auto collector and my interest is primarily revolvers but I recently ran across a 4006 PC gun that I found rather interesting and have not found much information on and perhaps some of the knowledgeable members here can shed a bit of light on the gun. The gun is a full size 40 SW with the following features. An extended 5 1/4" Barsto barrel, Bo-Mar adjustable rear sight and dovetailed front. There is a captured hemispherical bushing mounted in the front of the slide. The gun appears to have an oversize magazine release button and a safety mounted on the left side. The trigger pull is perhaps the best I have encountered in my limited semi-auto experience. Two 11 round magazines with yellow followers were included one of which is stamped with the PC trademark. All the major components are stamped with "71" which I assume was intended to keep the parts together during fitting and assembly.

The bit of information I have gleaned is that was a special order Lew Horton gun intended for target shooting but please correct me if this is incorrect. I have no idea of the value of the gun as I have found no comparable ones for sale, any advice would be welcomed.

I suspect it would be a fine shooter and would enjoy hearing the range reports of anyone with a similar item.

John. SWCA #1586

Last edited by hsguy; 12-02-2012 at 12:51 AM.
The Following 10 Users Like Post: