View Single Post

Old 10-06-2012, 11:11 AM

Liked 441 Times in 107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faulkner View Post
There is more to a church security plan than who is going to deal with a mean person should they show up with a gun. Though that is a real threat to consider, there are other issues that need to be considered.

For example, what is the plan should the fire alarm (if you have one) go off during services? I was in a service a few years ago and everyone sat there until someone silenced it. Funny, it had never gone off before, wonder what made it go off that morning. Well, it was a FIRE! Lack of attention to that situation nearly got some people hurt.

What's the plan should a tornado warning be issued during services? What's the plan should an elderly man or woman collapse with a heart attack during services? (Been there, done that!) What's the plan should a child come up missing during a church activity? What's the plan should the power go off during services, especially in some sanctuaries that don't have natural lighting?

Lastly, what IS the plan should a suspicious person show up during services. We know we should welcome even those who are not just like us to church. Just because they are suspicious looking does not mean they are not seeking worship. But, when a young fellow shows up in summer time in a long black trench coat, or maybe a dark hoodie with the hood pulled up, or maybe he's acting hinky and has his hands in the pockets of his bulky cargo pants. Do we just wait and see IF he's a psychopath with a gun? What IS the plan?

In consideration of the congregation, somebody had better have given these and other potential situations some thought and planning before these things happens, praying all the while that it never does. Every church I've ever seen or heard from after a serious event thought it could never happen there.

By the way, the thinking "we have a couple of cops and firefighters who go to church here" is not a plan.
You are so right on all of the above. These things have been on a list of topics I'm trying to get some traction on with folks at my church!