View Single Post

Old 10-06-2012, 11:52 AM

Liked 3,585 Times in 797 Posts

Aside from the megachurch I worked at (40k members on multiple locations) the other churches where I've attended/worked do not have set security detail.

It seriously bothers me. As secure as we get is someone waits to leave with me after I lock up on Wednesday night. The senior pastor does not want anyone carrying on premises, and I respect that, but I do not like it at all.

One night during rehearsal we had someone walk in looking for assistance (money) while some of our members listened to her story and directed her to the shelter, some noticed me automatically putting my hand where I'd normally be carrying. I wasn't but some of the choir thought I was. They know I usually carry, I make no secret about it, and since they see my hands all the time to watch me, they've seen some of my nastier slide bites. Anyway, it's times that like that--when someone walks in-- why I don't like not being able to carry at church or have someone who is. Most of the time people really are looking for help, but you never knwo when that one person is going to walk in with the intent to harm others.

We do have shelter in place kinds of instructions as we are near many refineries.

The alarm system? Does not cover all areas of the church, some of which I think are much bigger areas of risk than others.

The church I work at, as well as the last two I've been at as a member, are woefully inadequate as to their security standards.

I had a terrible dream one night about the church being broken into while I was there alone and how long I had to stay in one hidey place.

While I was working at megachurch, the building went on lockdown once. Someone had robbed a bank across the street, and ran into our building. I was in my office on the 4th floor, with only one entrance. I was terrified. I hid under my desk with the lights off and all I was armed with was a conductor's baton. Really? Maybe I could jab an eye out IF my stick didn't break.

Then I didn't hear the announcement that all was secure and some kids came into the instrument room making all kinds of noise and when I went to investigate, they had no clue that the building had even been on lockdown.