Thread: Shield vs XDs
View Single Post

Old 10-07-2012, 12:17 PM
US Veteran

Liked 2,344 Times in 1,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchie3409 View Post
Just did a side by side of the two pistols...I may need to get the XDs due to the fact that I prefer 45ACP.
... and that's about what it boils down to for many buyers... Whether you want a subcompact .45, or are happy with the subcompact 9/40 platform. That and being willing to learn the XD-S's idiosyncrasies.

Both have about the same round capacity and external safeties. Some prefer the grip safety, while others prefer a thumb safety. I prefer a grip safety, but I can live with simply leaving the Shield's thumb safety in the 'fire' position.

Not to ruffle any feathers, but... While there has been some tweaking done due to mechanical issues, Most of the problems associated with the XD-S that have been returned for service have been categorized as 'Not Reproducible By The Technicians'. This seems to be their way of saying 'User Error'. The XD-S appears to be one of those platforms that a person needs to learn from scratch, regardless of how long they've been shooting, or what other pistols they've had no issues with. If needing to learn a pistol from scratch and not carrying it until it's been mastered is a turn-off, or a deal breaker, oh well... Another 'Plus' for the Shield.

There are a few great threads at the XD-Talk forum in the XD-S Section.