View Single Post

Old 10-24-2012, 10:24 AM

Liked 1,921 Times in 1,043 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasu View Post
The Rossi 454 Casull, I have one, very very nice as you can see. And shoots fine, too.

(pics snipped)

And some load data, I hid the powder charge as these are my own loads.
That is a darn fine looking carbine with one heck of a cartridge. How far out can you shoot with decent accuracy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
I was not aware that a straight case was needed for long life.

I shoot .40-65 which is strongly tapered from the same head diameter as .45-70 with full length sizing at every cycle. The only case loss has been from bending a few case mouths not well aligned with the die.
Likewise .38-55 which has less but not zero taper and I am still using brass bought with the rifle about 15 years ago.
I'm mainly talking about having to full length resize which in retrospect is usually only demanded by auto loaders. The brass starts to stretch from the case web or rather just above it and I've had one case head rip free from me reloading too many times. So my thinking was just that if I did have to size the whole case then maybe a carbide full length sizing would last longer than a bottle neck that grows in length from sizing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer1911 View Post
I have a Taylor Arms Quigley Sharps replica in 45-70. I neck size only, no lube with a Lyman neck sizing die. Use Saeco 420 gr gas check cast bullet. Haven't lost a case yet to metal fatigue.
I tried neck sizing only for my 336 in .30-30 and that wasn't happening. I had to squeeze the heck out of the lever to get the thing to close all the way. Maybe some lever designs use the lever better to force the case into the chamber better than others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVSteve View Post
Most modern cartridges have a bit of taper as it is expected that they will find their way into a semi-auto weapon. Even with a bolt gun a touch of case taper eases extraction.
Very true. The .45-70 did work pretty well in 1877 Colt Gatling Gun enough for them to start making them again!!!

1877 Bulldog Gatling Gun

I can't even imagine being behind one...
The Following User Likes This Post: