View Single Post

Old 10-25-2012, 08:59 AM

Liked 1,921 Times in 1,043 Posts

Once again, I have a Remington M700 in .308 and while it is a fine rifle this is all about just having something different. Everything big bore I own I cast my own bullets for them and that is lightyears cheaper for ammo and I do it more for fun factor and bullet selection from molds than I do to save money anymore. So if I do go .45 or .50 then I will be bullet mold shopping yet again for something that grabs my interest and looks exciting rather than really worry over cost.

And it seems that all the longer case rifle cartridges really do all have some kind of slight taper to them. So that's pretty much a wash as far as ever being able to use a carbide die on them.

Which that leads me back again to the .460 S&W Magnum cartridge. Everything I've read about it says it's a screamer that's flatter shooting than the .500 and still has all kinds of energy even at 200 yards. I would guess it has a much lower ballistic coefficeint than any true rifle bullet would have but if the various revolvers can be long range tack drivers in .460 then a rifle should perk it up in both velocity, powder burn, and I would guess again at accuracy.

So since this is all in hobby fun factor and I'm not trying to enter Palma with a hangun load I'm only putting this as serious as a fun factor at the range.

And I'm really liking some of these inline muzzle loaders that have rifled barrels and shoot sabot loads. That looks like a much easier learning curve and ease of cleaning than the real deal original designs.