View Single Post

Old 10-28-2012, 02:25 AM

Liked 5,342 Times in 2,685 Posts

I've been carrying full size handguns for over 40 years. Trust me, should you ever really need it, nothing you can carry without wheels will feel adequate. Having said that, my EDC for 6+ years has been a M&P9.

Now then, forget 6 o'clock carry. As noted, you can't reach it seated and you stand an excellent chance of shattering your spine should you fall wrong.

There is a hollow just behind the hip that will allow concealed carry of astonishing things if you: have a substantial gun belt, not a Wallyworld $7 special, and a well designed and constructed holster matched to the width of the belt. Neither of these items will be cheap.

An improperly made belt will allow the holster to sag outward from the body, possibly bouncing around like a playful puppy. Not good. Likewise a cheap holster will allow the belt loops to move closer together, causing the same problem.

You have to dress around the weapon. That means your piece isn't inside a couple of shirts or under a tight shirt. Either buy your outer shirts a size large, or start layering your clothing. A T-shirt under an unbuttoned shirt works well. Ditto, the light jacket or sport coat over another shirt. If you do use a loose shirt without buttons, you need to practice- with an UNLOADED gun- getting it out. Sticking the thumb out to pull the shirt tail up may work for you. With unbuttoned shirts/jackets, a slight sway to the hips to the support hand side leaves you space to access the weapon.

I didn't mention specific makers/brands because each of us ends up with a box full of holsters we decide didn't work for us. You might check the local gunne shoppe and see if they've got a box of used holsters to pick through. I'll also note that money spent on Safariland/Bianchi gear is rarely wasted. If nothing else, it can be resold at good prices.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: