View Single Post

Old 10-31-2012, 10:54 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18DAI View Post
I don't doubt that the OP was told by a S&W rep that the barrel is MIM. But I find it hard to believe that it is. Just when you think you have seen everything.

Who was asking how could S&W possibly further cheapen the construction of their guns?

Hard to believe any designer or engineer thought a MIM gun barrel is a good idea. Harder yet to believe that the lawyers who evidently run the current company calling itself S&W think its a good idea.

I wonder what the frag pattern from a failed MIM barrel is like? Does anyone know if a MIM gun barrel will bulge like a steel barrel does? Or does it just frag like cheap pot metal? How do they guarantee there are no voids in the MIM barrel? Do they limit the ammunition pressure or use of certain types of 380 rounds in those things?

The only ones who I'm sure think this is a good idea are the bean counters. That has to save them alot of money.

Now assuming the barrel is indeed MIM what kind of functioning are you getting with that raised ridge along the top? Regards 18DAI
I had 2 different reps tell me that all the new barrels are going to be MIM. The second guy did ask me to email him a picture and he would forward it to see if the ridge is supposed to be on there.

I posted this same topic on the other bodyguard forum. One guy replied that he has a gun built AFTER mine, and it has no such ridge.

So the first S&W rep basically said tough luck. The second rep is at least making me feel like he is really going to try and do something for me. He is supposed to give me a call back this after noon when he finds something out.

BTW. I have not fired the gun yet. But I was wondering if the ridge would rub on anything.

Last edited by Col_Cotton_Hill; 10-31-2012 at 11:00 AM.