View Single Post

Old 10-31-2012, 02:13 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 142 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
Well, Uzi bolts are made from sintered steel...

Yeah, it looks cheap. But I have an opinion on self-defense firearms.

Don't fall in love with them!

You are going to use them once, that is, to save your life or the lives of your family. Then the cops are going to take it. You might get it back, perhaps it's been disassembled and the parts tossed loosely into a box. And I've seen that happen to a LEO's 39 because in had a FTE on the last round during an exchange with a felon.

Do you care about the scratches on your snow shovel? Do you polish your electric can-opener? When was the last time you took your door-stop out for dinner?

While I do not have the casting mark like yours, I do think the fit and finish on mine is lacking. It feeds, fires and ejects with all three magazines. The factory replaced the laser. It (sort of) places all shots into center mass.

I care about it with the same pride of ownership I do a shoe horn. It functions, and that's enough.

If you really feel that way, then good for you. I appreciate S&W's not just because of their functionality, but also for their form. Sure a 5" Model 27-2 makes a great multipurpose gun, but it's also beautiful work of craftsmanship that will never be made again.

Do you own any S&W's? Why? Couldn't the job be done just as well and cheaper by a Taurus or a Rossi? Why carry a Benchmade or an Emerson when a little dollar store pocket knife will do? Why ever eat steak when you could live off bread and water?

We pay more for things that are supposed to be higher quality, that are supposed to be made to a higher standard, so we can expect more out of them. I don't know what to expect from present-day S&W, but I didn't think we'd start seeing MIM barrels.

You may not care how your guns are made or what they look like (though I doubt you really don't), but I like to have some nice things...why I buy S&W's and not Taurii or Kel-Tecs. Function is #1, but form sure doesn't hurt.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: