View Single Post

Old 10-31-2012, 09:49 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 20,594 Times in 8,582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspick View Post
I know full moon clips are all the rage now but I would not turn my cylinders down to accept moon clips unless you are a competition shooter and every mili-second counts.

For the 45 acp cylinder. I would not "shave" the back off. I would have each chamber counter sunk the correct depth to accept the 45AR cart. That way if a case ruptures it is contained rather than blowing all over the place. Before you say how often does a case rupture? You wear eye protection don't you for just such a incident?

Just my 2 cents.

John
John,

That's at least $10 worth.
Personally I don't like messing with 1/2 or full moon clips. And since the OP was only interested in being able to shoot 45 AR in his Ruger ACP cylinder, your recessed chamber suggestion is a most excellent one, especially for him.

But IIRC he wanted to be able to see the rims from the side.
And case head blowouts in centerfire cartridges with their solid head cases is a thing of the past with the old balloon head cases as evidenced by the way all ACP cases are unsupported in modern DA cylinders which are all cut for clips. And the ACP case rims in the recessed Ruger chambers would then no longer be tightly surrounded either.

But I would still opt for your recessed chambers idea and it's also a great idea to be able to shoot 45 AR in 45 Colt cylinders as well!
S&WCA #819

Last edited by Hondo44; 10-31-2012 at 09:53 PM.