Thread: Thumb safety
View Single Post

Old 10-31-2012, 11:27 PM

Liked 51 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffmar77 View Post
I'm going to purchase a M&P .40 Compact in the very near future. This will be my first handgun, I've fired many but never owned one. Everything instilled in me tells me to get the one with the thumb safety. .
Important benefits are often overlooked with the S&W thumb safety (and many of the HK pistols, too)

- when loading and unloading the pistol, the safety can be left "on" to prevent accidentally actuating the trigger. (yes, that can happen)
- when holstering the pistol, the safety can be on to prevent snagging the trigger going in. (how many of us can twist and actually watch the pistol going into the holster?) The safety can then optionally be set to "fire" position after securely in the holster if the operator wishes.

No, the thumb safety will not cause discomfort. I carry my full sized M&P (with thumb safety) inside the waistband with no problems. The M&P series pistols are more rounded and smoother and cause less discomfort, even against the skin. That included the less rough grip sides. My holsters do have a sweat shield which isolates me from the thumb safety anyway.

"5 oclock" is a satisfactory position, even with only a loose tee shirt covering the firearm. That's also comfortable when in the car.