View Single Post

Old 11-02-2012, 04:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Though the Police Positive Special is one of the smallest guns made in 32-20, I would think one in vg-exc. shape, should be able to be shot with the 118gr. and 80gr. Load-X moly coated load, as well as the 115gr. Ultramax, and Black Hills loads, in addition to the similar Winchester/Remington 100gr. loads. These are pretty low velocity all lead loads. So far, I've only used the 118gr. Load-X in a Marlin rifle, and it shoots great.

I don't understand the velocity on the Ventura Munitions site for the JHP load, but in the past, the pictured jhp ammo, was made by HSM, and was loaded at a lot lower velocity (in the 850fps range), though it is always sold out it seems, and I haven't been able to get any. HSM, does have some 115gr lfn available often, and it is about the cheapest 32-20 "factory loaded" you can get, but it is also often sold out. I haven't tried any, but recently ordered some, so we'll see.

I have been hesitant to pick up a Colt PPS in this caliber, because of it's size, preferring the Army Special/Official Police, and the S&W M&P 4th Change revolvers in this cartridge, as they are a little larger and probably stronger guns. When you do fire this cartridge out of a revolver, you do realize that it's a bit more powerful, than you would expect for a 32 caliber, with recoil on par with the 148gr. 38spl. wadcutters, at least for me anyway. I can imagine this loaded with a copper jacketed projectile in a modern rifle, like the Marlin 1894 and the Browning 53 at high velocity to be quite potent for raccoon sized animals.

I don't think there has ever been a 32-20 revolver specific load, BTW, and I don't know why the 32-20 ever got into the double action revolver in the first place.

Last edited by shooter7; 11-02-2012 at 08:05 PM.