View Single Post

Old 11-02-2012, 09:54 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 7,056 Times in 1,581 Posts
Default Model 29-2 and its Spanish, American and German cousins

We’ve all seen old Spanish lookalikes of S&W revolvers, typically of M&P form in .38 or .32-20. Here is a grouping of similar revolvers, except emulating the Model 29 .44 Magnum. Not strictly copies mind you, but in form and function somewhat reminiscent of a Smith. Two Spanish, one American and one outlier German specimen that stretches the bounds of my self-imposed category. I did not include .44s by Dan Wesson, Colt, or Ruger because they seem fundamentally different to me. Taurus makes a variety of .44s that ape S&W but none of them (that I know of) quite have the lines of the classic Model 29 – I’ve only seen them with full underlug barrels.

From right to left:
S&W Model 29-2
Llama Super Comanche
Astra Model 44
High Standard Crusader
RG Model 57

And from the other direction, left to right:

Everyone knows what a Model 29 looks like but I certainly have to show it as a baseline for comparison. I replaced the original grips with the Siles that I prefer the feel of.

Next is the Llama Super Comanche. As much as the factory S&W grips are (to me) excessively flared at the bottom, the Llama is more so. The hammer and rear sight are a bit clubby in form but it has a snazzy ventilated rib on the barrel.

Probably the most similar to a S&W is the Astra Model 44, though its hammer is clubby as well. Notice the sideplate shape and compare it to the Smith. Oddly, the bottom front corner of the frame is rounded off rather than square. This feature almost looks like a mistake.

High Standard came out with the Crusader in .44 Magnum and .45 Colt around 1980 in a limited run of 500 each, with fitted wooden cases. Unfortunately for them it never really took off and as far as I know, no standard models were ever made. Its sideplate has turned plum.

This magnificent beast is the RG Model 57 in .44 Magnum. (The joke I’ve heard is that RG stands for “Rotten Gun”.) I stumbled across it on Gunbroker while (as you might guess) looking for a S&W Model 57 in .41 Magnum. I’d had no idea such a thing existed but had to have it. It is, as Professor Higgins said of Eliza Doolittle, “...so deliciously low, so horribly dirty!” However I don’t think it’s ever going to pass as royalty, even with the ventilated rib.

Here they are from the other side.

S&W M-29-2. Retail price in the 1980 Gun Digest is $331.50

Llama Super Comanche. Notice the sideplate is on this side. Retail price in the 1980 Gun Digest is $349.95

Astra Model 44. Retail price in the 1981 Gun Digest is $390.00

High Standard Crusader. Check the funky cylinder release and the Dan Wesson type grip attachment. Retail price in the 1980 Gun Digest is $340.00

And the RG Model 57. They cylinder release is really about the only thing resembling S&W on it but I just had to include it. Retail price in the 1980 Gun Digest is $242.00

For real world prices you could probably knock 30-50% off the Llama, Astra and RG, but expect to pay close to full price for the S&W. The Dirty Harry mania had died down a bit by 1980 so you probably didn't have to pay double. Not sure what the commemorative Crusader went for back in the day but they're a bit pricey now, if you can find one.
The Following 40 Users Like Post: