View Single Post

Old 11-03-2012, 05:03 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

I owned # S 01XX which I bought directly from the Costa Mesa facility. The CEO of Armalite at that time was Colonel Burton Miller (USAF-RET). He was a friend to many law enforcement agencies in our area plus one of our officers would assist him in demonstrations to other agencies. I used it for years both during my time on SWAT and for recreation. It was an excellent weapon that never gave me any problems. I fired thousands of rounds through it and it worked flawlessly. I sold it and many others in my collection to help pay for my son's medical bills just prior to his death. I was sorry to see it go but tough times require unwanted decisions.

I tried to purchase a replacement later on but their value has gone sky high. Too high for this old retiree. I liked it better than the M16/AR15. I had trained on both. One thing, it did not need was a forward assist and always worked during various tests that I did. In addition to the standard model there was the short barrel version (10.25" if memory serves me right) which also was easy to control on full auto. I fired many AR 18's in both models back then thanks to Col. Miller. Both the 18 and 180 were and I assume still are nice weapons. Thanks to this thread for the memories.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: