View Single Post

Old 11-03-2012, 07:47 AM

Liked 2,474 Times in 1,144 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN L View Post
In a word, YES. If you are using original AR18/180 mags. There may be a problem with converted AR15/M16 mags. There is a ledge on the rear of the follower that is supposed to activate the bolt hold open device. Sometimes when people convert AR mags they don't get that part of the conversion right.

I'm surprised Jaymoore hasn't weighed in on this thread as he has an AR180 (I believe a Sterling) that he converted to use M16 mags. Maybe he hasn't seen this thread yet. I'm sure he'd be glad to post some pics..........
Had not seen the thread until KenL brought to my attention. I had a Costa Mesa which was fine, but it just seemed nutty use anything but M16 mags which are all over the place. I even keep some in the range bag as a permanent thing, just in case.

Went and made form block which was a force fit into the mag well and then carefully "massaged" the bump from the outside. Didn't even mar the finish on the outside. The inside does show polishing marks. Milled a slot for a mag retaining bar which was attached to a bit of rod that had a nut on the far side to capture the spring. The nut also bore againt the underside of the old mag release which had the catch dressed back far enough not to mar the M16 mags. It worked perfectly after a minor adjustment to lower the top surface of the new catch, which was done on purpose, just to ensure I hadn't made a positioning error.

If there's any Costa Mesa purists out there, then it'll be an affront, but the conversion seems entirely practical. Probably not economical unless someone tries to streamline the process, but my experiment was dandy!

Can't remember why I sold it. Nothing at all wrong with the rifle. Probably to buy something outrageously expensive that sees less use...Maybe that LMT L129a1 clone.
The Following User Likes This Post: