View Single Post

Old 11-04-2012, 09:39 PM

Liked 8,584 Times in 2,782 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveebryant View Post
First question: What is the best defensive round realizing I would likely be making the shot from my bed toward any intruder standing in the door-way 20-30 feet away?
Seven to 10 yards is not exactly close with respect to self defense distances. You'll have to experiment with a variety of ammo choices, not simply take the say-so from those well versed in ballistics. You have Magnums and Specials at your disposal, and within those two categories a wide variety of bullet types. Buy a box of several brands, and test out what is most comfortable and controllable at the prescribed defense distances you specify. Just because XYZ is recommended doesn't necessarily mean it will work well for you, especially when a .44 Magnum is the point of discussion. Re-loaders will chime in about hot loads, and what can be tolerated in a 629, but stock factory ammo is a trial-and-error test only you can ultimately decide on.

Personally, I've had good results with PMC Bronze JHP 180 gr. Specials. Cost effective, and always do what is expected when hitting the target.

Last edited by mc5aw; 11-04-2012 at 09:42 PM.