View Single Post

Old 11-07-2012, 05:10 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 16,154 Times in 7,408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke426 View Post
When I sent my S&W 581 back to the factory for the recall modification, I was advised that my 581 was showing signs of erosion in the forcing cone. It didn't have any cracks but the factory said it would be a good idea to hone the forcing cone and reset barrel/cylinder gap. I had them do it. I don't fire those full house magnum rounds so the previous owner must have. You give good advice: just because we can shoot the hot stuff doesn't always make it a good idea regardless of the gun.
I think it was Napoleon who said that you can't make an omelet without breaking eggs. (So much for how he felt about his troops' lives...)

I haven't felt the need to make any .357 omelets that couldn't use 140 grain or heavier eggs. The destruction wrought by the 145 grain Silvertip loads makes me wonder why I'd need a lighter bullet.

One of our members who's retired from a Dallas suburban dept. posted awhile back that Dallas PD found the 145 Silvertip VERY effective on humans. It will probably knock the daylights out of a coyote, too, even a wolf. On larger animals, I'd use heaver bullets or a heavier caliber altogether. But the 140-145's are probably lethal on cougars, although I'd carry 158 grain Hydra-Shoks, in case I had to take a frontal chest shot or break a shoulder.

Last edited by Texas Star; 11-07-2012 at 05:15 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: