View Single Post

Old 11-12-2012, 10:15 AM

Liked 576 Times in 120 Posts
Default Witch 547 to choose? 547 3" or 4"? And picture request conversion solid to adjustable

Would like to ask some help and input from you.

I am looking into what to buy. I can make room for one S&W revolver (In Holland we may have 5 guns, for sport shooting only).
On the moment I do not need a specific gun, I just want one, something special. The more special S&W's are not offered here that much, but are not expensive either.
I like the shorter barrel lengths, and not to big/heavy guns. And I like them best in SS. I now have a 686 4" and 696. And a 18 witch then has to go. (further two pistols with has to stay)

Now I am looking at a 547 in 3", a 547 in 4" and a model 67, perfect and all SS, including the rear sight.
I always wanted a 547 but I am afraid that when I shoot it and the point of aim is wrong I will miss the adjustable sight. An all SS 67 is nice but I shoot 38 specials with my 686 with great satisfaction. So brings nothing new.
I could choose the 547 and when I do miss the sight have it converted to adjustable with a higher front sight. And then have it hard chromed.

Collectors value does not count here!
The 547's are not really wanted due to impractical for target shooting and for the 67, weather or not a SS sight almost no one here will care. I learned to appreciate much of it by reading a lot on this board. But I also like to adjust my guns to my wishes.

For target shooting at 27 yards, our standard, would the 3" 547 do good? Or to light and short and I better can go for the 4"? Suggestions? Never fired a 547 and will only be after I bought one.

And I would like to see if a conversion from solid to adjustable sights can be done and how that looks. Anyone? Must look as much as possible like S&W would have done it.
If there is a thread about that I would like to know.

The mentioned 547 3"

The mentioned 547 4"

The mentioned 67