View Single Post

Old 11-12-2012, 11:42 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 7,681 Times in 2,618 Posts

With the large logo on the sideplate, the OP's gun cannot have been made before 1937. That means the serial number would have to include the V prefix of a wartime Victory revolver; that V should be visible on the butt, rear face of the cylinder and flat underside of the barrel. V535066 would have shipped in 1944.

I have never seen a .38 Special Victory with a chopped barrel, but I suppose they could exist. The usual chop jobs, as indicated above, were British Service Revolvers chambered originally for .38 S&W (or .38/200, in the British classification).

The British guns that got this treatment are usually covered in proof marks that I don't see on this revolver. Perhaps they have all been polished off. It looks as though all barrel markings have been polished off as well. Ignoring the out-of-protocol plated hammer and trigger, the frame finish does not look half bad. The sideplate was polished while in position, thus avoiding the horrible frame/sideplate gully you get when the parts are polished separately and the edges round over.

If you can shoot .38 special without damaging or deforming the brass, you may have a gun that was given a proper replacement cylinder, or a cylinder that was sleeved for .38 Special rather than just bored deeper. (But I don't see evidence of sleeving in that one photo that shows the face of the cylinder.)

There is a fourth sideplate screw under the right side stock, so this would be considered a five-screw revolver.

The crane detente and spring were gone as revolver features by the 1940s, so you don't run the risk of losing them when you take the crane/cylinder assembly off the frame. Just remove the front sideplate screw (or loosen it with a turn or two of removing it) and pull the opened crane straight forward. It will slide right out.

I agree that market value is probably not over $200 in light of its modifications.