View Single Post

Old 11-13-2012, 11:59 PM
US Veteran

Liked 12,760 Times in 5,686 Posts

Many moons ago I did a lot of reloading for my WWII 9mm Radom. The lightest bullet I reloaded was the Hornady 100gr Jhp which did not work out in this auto.
The Hornady,Sierra and Speer 115 Jhp bullets did give a lot better accuracy than the lighter bullet but the design of their nose was not the best and I had to really work with the OAL to get them to feed properly up the ramp and into the barrel with out hitting the ramp,not moving and causing the receiver to stop its forward motion. There were also some stove pipes along the way but that goes with reloading two powders and different speeds. Back then I did not have a chrony and was at the mercy of the data pages.............
The Speer 124gr gave the best accuracy in this old gun and either Bullseye or Unique at factory loads put 7 rounds in a 2-3" group at 25 yards when I did my part.
Twenty years later with the new powders and new style bullets the 9mm has to be a super gun in the SD department, just hated to work with those little cases but I never had a problem with the Ball FMJ ammo just not the best for SD but great for target practice.

If you can get a 115 gr +p or +P+ to feed it is a great SD load but I liked the 124gr +P for the extra weight just incase of a lot of clothing or bad angles that can take place and it also worked better in the Nevada desert when going out after jack rabbits......just shot better using 4.5 Bullseye or 5.5 grs of Unique at 1.16" OAL.

Last edited by Nevada Ed; 11-14-2012 at 12:08 AM.