View Single Post

Old 11-15-2012, 12:40 PM
US Veteran

Liked 1,313 Times in 447 Posts

I went on the Chicago PD in 1971 and we carried either Colt or S&W revolvers chambered in 38/357 and at that time our duty load was the 158 RNL 38 Special. Years later we went to the truly excellent 158 grn LHP +P 38 Special at which time it became known as the Chicago Police/FBI load. Officers that came on before the adaption of semi auto pistols were allowed to still use their revolvers as duty guns. The new kids referred to us old guys as the "Wheel Police". So by attrition as old timers retire there are fewer and fewer CPD officers seen carrying revolvers, occassionally one can still be spotted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsonrider View Post
I traveled to Pittsburgh this last July for some work related training. We had a 90 minute layover in Chicago. I was trying to find the smoking area and asked a cop on the escalator for directions. He told me that he was on his way to that very place and to follow him. He was wearing a huge revolver and I asked him about it. He told me he was a 30 yr veteran of the Chicago PD and the old guy's got to carry revolvers. He then proceeds to pull it out of his holster and show it to me in the elavator. It must have been at least a six inch barrel because it seemed like it just kept coming out of his holster. He complained about only being able to carry "special" ammo and not the "magnum" ammo. This was before I became aware of S&W revolver model numbers. I seem to recollect he called it a 19 (.357), but I swear he he said it was a .44. Anyway since that meeting I have bought or traded for a 586 6", a 686 3" and recently a 29 6.5". Does anyone know what Chicago PD carried for sure?