Thread: Shield vs XDs
View Single Post

Old 11-21-2012, 10:21 AM

Liked 84 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBS1 View Post
I understand everything youre saying but stock for stock, i think the shield is a much better value. But I will say that the shields stock trigger must be atleast 8 pounds! I havent shot the xds but dry firing the trigger is definitely nicer.
These last couple posts are the first I have heard that the XDs has a better trigger. It has always been posted the opposite. The 30 minute XDs youtube review by hickok45, a diehard 45 man, noted at 9:16 in the review that while the XDs has an "O.K trigger", no comparison to the Shields excellent "Dream trigger" (his words).

The things that made the XDs appealing to me were the fiber optic sights, grip safety, and somewhat appealing the 45 caliber round as well as always instantly available at any gun shop, online store or gunshow.

There are mixed views on which is the best most powerful carry round, 180gr 40 S&W or the 230gr 45ACP, with most modern tests giving the edge to the 40 S&W with it's higher velocity. It's what the feds switched to after testing all choices. Doesn't need debated here, but plays a role in if a buyer is looking at the XDs or a Shield.

The downside to the XDs was the XDs owners complaining about all the various issues in the XD dedicated forums, which by comparison to the type of Shield posts here, makes the Shield seem like the most perfect gun ever made. Ton's of problems, many very serious, and not simply one flaw like the 40 shield had with dropping mags (which S&W had fixed in only 4 days, shipping both ways on their dime). Other downside was an XDs price that was more than 30% higher (even more if you prefer the two-tone model, which I did). Next was the 45 round, since I already committed to the 40 S&W and have 3 in that caliber, why downgrade to 45? (when I want fatter lead with even higher velocity, I'll shoot the 500 S&W). I also prefer the choice in a pocket carry weapon of an external thumb activated safety, which the XDs lacks, and is great during initial pocket carry use until you get comfortable enough to run with safety off. Another thing that to me looked bad was the XDs grips with large course checkering, making it seem like a cheap plastic part. In the Hickok45 review, he stated the talon grips will be installed by him. Final downside was a huge one. Country of origin. If all else is fairly equal, then country of origin in the USA always wins out, and even tilts the scales a little toward USA if not quite equal.

Last edited by RobsTV; 11-21-2012 at 11:06 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: