Thread: Shield vs XDs
View Single Post

Old 11-21-2012, 01:14 PM

Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag318 View Post
I paid $341 for my Shield and $548 for my XDs, but then spent another $300 on the Shield. Sent if off to Robar for their NP3 finish and had them install XS Big Dot sights so that ate up any cost savings. My XDs already had a stainless slide that looks like stainless and something I wish Smith would offer. After all stainless is stainless so why Melonite it. S&W pioneered stainless steel handguns in the 60s and just about all their Gen 3 semiautos had that stainless look that I prefer. So I would be happy if S&W at least offered a stainless looking slide as an option.
As to rumors of the XDs grip safety not depressing if not gripped properly I call horsefeathers. The grip safety depresses easily and naturally once the pistol is held. You be hardpressed to hold the XDs and not depress the grip safety.
So now my Shield is set up closer to the appearance my XDs I have $641 in it. Hmmm kind of makes the Springfield now look like a bargain. I forgot to add the Talon grips for another $15, which by the way are worth the money.
In closing I now have 2 great carry pieces and the comparison between the two is valid. They are both cutting edge technology and worthy additions to my meager collection. And I still think S&W will follow suite with a Shield 45 next year. If they think the demand is there they will build one.
Its only a better buy in your eyes because you voluntarily decided to spend 300 dollars on certain items. Both guns are combat effective in stock trim. It's still clear that the shield is a better bargain vs the xds in stock form
The Following User Likes This Post: