View Single Post

Old 11-22-2012, 10:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Scope for a 500 Mag.

I recently purchased a Performance Center 500. I took my time and thought I did ample research to come up with the best scope option for it. I chose Leupold VX-III 2.5-8 x 32 and PRW rings. Over the last 2 months I have fired ammo from 275gr Ultramax to 500gr Cor-Bon. I have done some minor bench/scope work but nothing serious. Recently I turned my attention to choosing a hunting round for the upcoming deer season that opens Dec. 1st. I chose the Hornady 300gr FTX. I was confident enough to start my work at 100yds. I shot a few rounds and made some minor adjustments after each individual shot. When I thought I was where I wanted to be, I switched to a clean target and shot my first 3 shot group. Two rnds were on paper but no where near the bullseye. One was 4" low and right, one was 5" high and left and I [I]think[I] the 3rd was 12" high and left. I noticed that the scope moved in the rings so, I went back to my shop and moved the rings and scope so the back of the front ring was tight against the front of the turret and went back to the range. After 8 more rounds I determined that that my scope was messed up and would have to be returned to Leupold.

My question to all of you is: What do you scope a 500 with, that will handle the recoil?

Last edited by MonteK; 11-22-2012 at 10:10 PM. Reason: spelling