View Single Post

Old 11-25-2012, 07:21 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,742 Times in 2,625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora Van Orden View Post
My mom and dad were originators of Evalators, Ltd., in Triangle. The old office has been torn down and all of the old records were either burned up or picked up by certain agencies. My mother, Flora Mitchell Van Orden, wife of Brig. Gen. George O. Van Orden, USMC, designed the S&W K-38, Combat Masterpiece, and took her drawing to Tiny Helwig at the main S&W offices. She wanted the barrel to be 4", with adjustable sights, to be used with a grip adapter and a spring loaded holster that would minimize the time expended on drawing. They are both dead now, and the only person who might be able to answer your question is my brother, George Mason Van Orden. a retired USMC Col. in VA, lifetime member of the NRA, writing something about the making of a national champion, which he was. He lives west of Richmond with his wife Rina and two puppies. If you google him, or give me your email address, I would send it to him.
I have never heard of your mother's involvement with the Combat Masterpiece, but I had read that your mother suggested the name of the then-new economy 357 Magnum, the "Highway Patrolman."

I wish you would post pictures of your parents or the store or whatever you have. We would all love to see such. I have done various searches on Google, to no effect, save the Model 19 seen in this thread and previously in other threads on this forum.

Nice to have you.
The Following User Likes This Post: